Today is my birthday.
I’m turning the ripe old age of 29 and I plan on having a blast doing it despite almost everyone reminding me how close I am to 30 and how it’s all downhill from there…
So how am I celebrating this year? I’m going for the birthday month which includes a family dinner tonight, some kind of social birthday surprise my boyfriend has organised for tomorrow and what’s going to be an epic party with two of my fellow Februarian’s (one of whom blogs here) in a couple of weeks’ time at Brisbane’s best Tiki-Bar.
Of course, when it is your most favourite day/month of year, one wants to look good and feel great and this is where I like to employ a few ‘rules’ (and I use the term rules loosely) to make it happen.
Let me prefix this saying you can follow these rules any day too if you want to feel special – it doesn’t just have to be your birthday.
1. Look your best. For me this means shiny, bouncy hair, a light tan, great nails (this year I went with OPI’s Polka.com) and spending a little extra time on my makeup even though I am just going to work for the day.
2. Wear lipstick. I wholeheartedly agree with the fabulous Nikki over at Styling You – lipstick has transformative powers for every woman on earth (and some men too) and this is by no means an overstatement. If you pop on a cheerful coral, a hot pink lip or a bright red, I can guarantee that you instantly look fresher and more polished and your whole face will smile right back at you like you’re an undiscovered Victoria’s Secret model.
3. The outfit. I’m lucky enough to work in an office that has no real dress code, in other words, I wear pencil skirts while others have been known to rock up wearing shorts. Thankfully this lack of rules means I am able to wear almost anything I want to work on my birthday. So today I have chosen my Birthday dress from last year. A beautiful tea dress that I sewed with my mum from a free Gorman pattern. It’s floral and summery and quite clearly not that appropriate for Brisbane’s weather today but I do not care because it makes me feel FAB! You can check it out on my old blog over here if you wish.
I highly advise you ignore the rules on your birthday and wear something from your wardrobe that gives you that extra special feeling. Whether that’s a sequin cape, a pair of skyscraper heels or even your favourite jeans, just embrace it. Your birthday is the one day of the year that no one can say anything
4. Cake. Just eat some already. I don’t care if you’ve gone ‘no sugar’ or if you’re a hardcore vegan if someone goes to the trouble of getting or making you a cake. You bloody well eat it and enjoy it. Calories don’t count on your birthday! While you’re at it, throw back a glass of champagne. You’ve got something to celebrate!
5. Last but not least, spend some quality time with the people you love and let them know just how thankful you are for their birthday texts, the lop-sided red velvet cake they spent 2 hours icing and/or their super thoughtful and amazing gifts. Everyone loves a party and seeing their loved ones enjoying themselves. It’s the gift that gives back…as cheesy as it sounds.
So that’s it, 5 rules to follow that will make your birthday just the little bit more fun.
Now, I’m off to find that champagne xx