With winter fast approaching, I find myself making a beeline towards our coffee machine most mornings. There’s nothing quite like a good brew to make you feel more alive – tea, coffee or otherwise – so it’s with great pleasure that I’ve noticed more and more cafes in Brisbane offering suspended coffees for those who are less fortunate.
If you’re not aware of the Suspended Coffee movement, it originated in Italy and allows people to ‘pay it forward’ by purchasing a coffee or some food, that can then be suspended until someone in need requires a warm drink, or something to fill their bellies.
I love supporting the movement and it’s fantastic to see it continuing to grow in Queensland. Many participating cafes now offer suspended food in the way of ‘Tucker tokens’, Pay a Sack Forward – where people pay $5 towards a sack for a homeless person (PASF) and some are even employing people needing a chance (EPNAC) in addition to the humble suspended coffee.
Below you’ll find a list of the current cafes and restaurants participating in the Suspended movement in Queensland – why not get involved today!
- ASPLEY – Cup From Above – 1359 Gympie Rd. (EPNAC) – Tucker tokens too
- BRISBANE CBD – Thrive on George – 450 George St, Brisbane CBD.
- EVERTON HILLS – Open Book Cafe- Shop 2a/77 Camelia Avenue.
- LOGANHOLNE – George’s Fish and Chips – 135 Bryants Road. Suspended hot chips, ham and cheese toasties
- NEW FARM – Banneton Bakery – 876 Brunswick St.
- NEW FARM – Da’ Burger – 876 Brunswick St (suspended burgers).
- NUNDAH – Espresso Train – 46 Station St. (EPNAC)
- NUNDAH – Solo Espresso – 25 Bradbury St.
- SANDGATE – Mugshots Espresso – 107 Brighton Rd.
- STAFFORD – Beans and Barley -2/627 Stafford Rd.
- STONES CORNER – Green Door Cafe and Gallery – Shop 2B 360 Logan Rd.
- WEST END – Plenty – 284 Montague Rd.
- WEST END – In-Cog-Neato – 44 Montague Rd.
- WOOLOONGABBA – Woolloongabba Antiques Centre – 22 Wellington Rd.
- WYNNUM – Colossal Coffee and Cakes – 85 Edith St, Wynnum.
- LOCATIONS TBA – Bam Espresso.
- LOCATION TBA – Having a Go Coffee’ (EPNAC).
- Peace Pies -140 Sutton street, Redcliffe (suspended food).
- Taste-e-art- Mobile Van, Morayfield.
Gold Coast and Surrounds
- BURLEIGH HEADS – Chocs & Pops – 3/27 Park Avenue.
- SOUTHPORT – Paris Cafe -409 /1 Como Cresent.
- TAMBORINE MOUNTAIN – Two Birds & A Tea Cup Shop 1/110 Long Rd.
- ROBINA – Steam & Bean, Christine Ave and Scottsdale Dr.
Sunshine Coast & Hinderland
- BUDERIM – Ground – 11/43 Burnett St.
- MOOLOOLAH – Kenny’s at Mooloolah – 1 Jones St.
- WOOMBYE – Kimnat Little Market – 14 Blackall St.
- Laneway 17 – 17 Ellenborough Street.
- High Ground Café – 41 Brisbane Street. (PASF & SC!).
- GOODNA – The Meeting place -27 Smiths Rd.
- Bounce – 488 Ruthven St, Toowoomba.
- Alowishus Delicious – 4/176 Bourbong Street.
- Woodman’s Axe Espresso – 41 Sydney St.
- Betty blue + lemon tart – 95 Denham Street.
- UHUB Cairns Information Booking Hub – 129 Abbot St.
Far North QLD
- Espress Coffee. MOBILE service Located in Atherton.