We aren’t vegetarian by any means (who can resist pulled pork) but when we heard that Meat Free Week was happening across Australia on March 23rd it got us thinking – Why not try going meat free for 7 days?
Meat Free week is designed to make us think about how the impact that eating meat has on our health, the environment and of course animals. It’s not an attempt to force vegetarian or veganism down your throat- quite literally – rather an exercise in awareness. AND it’s also a great excuse to try out some fresh new recipes and some of Brisbane’s best vegetarian meals!
For some veg-spiration why not check out the following blogs and website:
- Not Quite Nigella is one of our favourite food bloggers and she’s created an entire page of delicious vegetarian recipes for you to explore! Just look ta how amazing her Cauliflower and Spiced Lentil Salad looks!
- Elsa’s Wholesome Life – this gorgeous blog is focused on creating delicious whole food plant-based recipes. I can personally vouch for Elsa’s raw slice recipes after making my own version a couple of months ago. Oh and her veggie burgers are next on my list to make – they look amazing!!
- No doubt you’ve heard loads about eating Paleo since Pete Evans returned to our television screens and while the diet advocates eating a fair amount of lean protein, there are loads of great Paleo recipes for vegetarian food. A go to cookbook in our household is Eat Drink Paleo by Irini Macri – it has some great vegetarian recipes and you can find even more on her blog – like the delicious Baked Eggplant stuffed with tomato salsa – filling, hearty and super yum!
- One of the original and best vegan bloggers is Angela from Oh She Glows. Her recipes are super delicious and there is literally something for every occasion and meal. Green smoothies, cakes, side dishes…look no further, Angela has the answer.
- The Detoxinista has hands down the best recipe for cauliflower pizza on the web and if you consider peanut butter a food group you will love her many, many recipes including her Chocolate Peanut Butter Banana Milkshake (seriously OMG YUM).
- If cooking isn’t your thing but you want to get into the spirit of Meat Free week make your first stop at Red Hill’s Botanica Real Food. The salads and sweet treats here are amongst our favourite in Brisbane – especially the Kale Caesar and the lemon cakes!
- Vege Rama‘s menu boasts fresh and healthy vegetarian food including curries, burgers, lasagne and enchilada’s – there is loads to choose from and not a bad dish on the menu.
- If you love Indian food (like our other halves) Mirchh Masala is the place for you. The Thali special includes 2 curries, dal, roti, pulao, onion pickle, gulabjamun, pappadum and dahi wad – ALL vegetarian. Who can say no to that?
- Govinda’s is one of Brisbane’s (if not the) longest running vegetarian restaurants. They’re well known for the ‘Feast Meal’ which is all you can eat vegetarian food for just $12.90!
- While not strictly meat free Fundies Whole Food Cafe have loads of vegetarian options for breakfast, lunch and takeaway. They also do some delightful juices if you’re partial to some veg in a bottle.