We’ve just gotten back from a lovely 3-day weekend and with the Easter long weekend almost here it’s got us thinking about where to next?
Brisbane is in such a good position for weekend getaways it’s not even funny. We’re super close to beaches, the bush, rainforest, reef, mountains and wine country. And on top of that we’re just a couple of hours flight from the hustle and bustle of some of Australia’s wonderful southern cities. If you’re overdue a much-needed break it’s time for you so get your butt into gear and book yourself a long weekend away. Be inspired by our list below!
These are our Top Ten favourite places for a long weekend getaway…
- Would we pick anywhere else but Maleny and Montville to be number 1? I think not! The Sunshine Coast Hinterland really does have it all – stunning views, fresh and delicious produce, adorable pademelons and lots of peace and quiet. This is the perfect place to relax, recharge and eat your weight in local cheese.
- Byron Bay – release you inner hippie (or is that hipster?) and take the drive down to Byron. The local Aborigines believed Byron to be a place of healing and fertility and it’s easy to see why. Fresh sea and natural beauty will make you feel centred and at peace or if you’d prefer to party there’s plenty of bars and some great restaurants too.
- Noosa – ahhhhh one of our favourite spots for mini-break because you can be as active or lazy as you want. Some options for you are: chilling out on the beach all day, eating gelato in the sunshine, walking in the national park, shopping up a storm or snoozing in one of the many accommodation options.
- Mooloolaba – the destination no tourist can pronounce, but everyone loves to visit! Mooloolaba has just enough shops and cafes to entertain the city slickers and one of the sunny coast’s most popular beaches. The Surf Club is renowned for it’s killer views and cheap grub and if that won’t woo you just know that there is a Ben and Jerry’s store on the Esplanade!
- Maryvale or more specifically Spicers Peak Lodge at Maryvale! This one might be more for a special occasion – anniversary, birthday, or when you and a loved one are in need of a quiet getaway. This region is so beautiful and not visited nearly enough. Do yourself a favour and keep an eye out for one of Spicers many deals – you won’t regret spending a little more on an escape like this. Another ‘bush break’ option is Spicers Hidden Vale – again just a short drive from Brisbane, this property boasts an exceptional restaurant and spa with plenty of open space to explore as well!
- Stradbroke Island may be just a short drive and ferry away but the feeling you get when you arrive on Straddie is one of pure relaxation. Time seems to move slower and your toughest choice is what flavour ice-cream to buy from the shop at Point Lookout. If you really want to get away from it all – Straddie is the perfect spot for it.
- Cairns is a one-stop shop for all things fun and adventure. With loads of day-time activities (including bungee jumping and scuba diving) and plenty of night life – Cairns is a great destination for a getaway! If you’re looking to relax, there are also loads of salons offering massages and beauty treatments at reasonable prices. And if food is your thing? Well Cairns has some amazing seafood so be sue to try it!
- Airlie Beach and the Whitsundays – who doesn’t love a tropical escape? Especially when it’s in their own backyard? Tropical North Queensland is regarded by many as one of the most beautiful places in the world. In our opinion it beats Hawaii and Bali by far and there are so many reasons why. Firstly, it’s easy and relatively cheap to get there. Secondly, there are loads of accommodation options and thirdly, there is just so much to see and do – exploring the Great Barrier Reef and sunning yourself on Whitehaven Beach – only one of the most stunning beaches in THE WORLD – should be on the top of your list.
- Sydney is Australia’s most iconic city for a reason. It’s beautiful and diverse and there is something for everyone. You can tan your buns on Bondi, dance the night away in Kings Cross, eat your way through one of the cities many award winning restaurants, or simply marvel at the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Opera House on a harbour cruise. Say hi to the lovely giraffes at Taronga Zoo will you?
- Melbourne holds a special place in both our hearts. Perhaps this is because we love and appreciate good food and excellent coffee. Or it could be because we love gin and wine and Melbourne has some bloody excellent bars (and wineries nearby)…or it could be because when we aren’t saving for overseas trips or weddings, we like to shop and Melbourne has some of the best shopping Down Under. Really there are so many reasons to love Melbourne and when it’s just a 2 hour flight away there’s no excuse not to visit.
- Ok so we know we said there would only be 10 but how could we forget the good old beaches of the Gold Coast and its gorgeous Hinterland affectionally nicknamed the”green behind the gold”? Our favourite spots include Coolangatta for swimming, Broadbeach for going out, Burleigh for relaxing and Mt Tamborine for some R&R.
Feeling inspired? Freaked out by my many different hair colours? Whatever your thoughts, we’d love to hear them! Tell us where’s you’re favourite weekend getaway…we’d love to know if you agree with us or have some hidden gems we don’t know about!