- The Bites and Brews Laneway Festival is on this weekend. For the first time ever the Shaftson Hotel and its surrounding lanes will transform to host an outdoor festival featuring craft beers and ciders, cocktails, wine and some of our Brisbane’s most popular food trucks!
- March 1st is Clean Up Australia Day – so do your bit and put some litter in the bin. If you love the environment, register online to get more involved.
- Dont Forget Wardrobe Warriors is on this Saturday! Refresh your wardrobe and support Assist A Sista – it’s a win win!
- The Food Connect 10th Birthday street party is on tonight
- Brewsvegas has been announced for 2015.
- The Brisbane Comedy Festival is in full swing, book your tickets here for some good lols.
- Like Pools? Love Martini’s? Pooltino is the event for you! Held at Lennons Pool Terrace and Bar at Next Hotel Brisbane this latin inspired party kicks off every Friday evening until the end of March.
- UK shop Bodens have opened an Australian website so you can shop for London-style from the comfort of sunny Queensland
- Needs some restaurant inspiration for the weekend? Why not head to Eat Street Markets or check out some of Brisbane’s Best Dumplings and continue the Chinese New Year Celebrations!
It’s such a first-world problem. Staring at your over-stuffed wardrobe and sighing that you have ‘nothing to wear’. In all honesty, I have a lot of clothes to wear. I am just bored of them all. My sensible shopping habits mean that I am still wearing dresses and tops I bought three to eight years ago, and while they may still be stylish and in good condition, they’ve just worn out their welcome a little.
Kirst and I are currently both suffering from the same ‘problem’. We have clothes to wear – we just don’t want to wear them. They fit, they look good but right now, we feel frumpy and dull in the same dress we’ve worn to every summer BBQ for the last three years no matter how nice the fabric is. Dressing up has lost it’s fun and become of all things – a little depressing.
We also share another problem. Very limited funds. As Kirst is saving for her wedding and I am saving for an overseas trip, neither of us can afford to fritter away some ‘fiddies’ (kidding as if we’d have multiple $50 notes!) on unnecessary clothes.
So what to do? We are both in major style ruts and urgently need some wardrobe rehab – but is this even possible when you have little or no money?
I’m going to take a punt and say yes it is (you gotta have hope!) and here’s how…
- Brisbane’s latest markets are for pre-loved fashion. Wardrobe Warriors Market is on for the first time on Saturday 28 February. Entry is a gold coin donation to Assist a Sista, a group of community volunteers who work together to help survivors of domestic violence.
- Liquorun comes to Brisbane.
- The Everything Deco to Retro Fair is on from 20-22 February in Windsor.
- Ok so we are super late to the party but we love Colour Me Anna’s January salad a day challenge. Still a perfect challenge for the rest of Feb.
- Donut freak out (sorry couldn’t resist) but Doughnut Time is finally open in Fortitude Valley! Along with the rest of Brisbane, we plan on visiting as soon as humanly possible so we’ll most likely run into a hole lot of people there….ha ha ha.What flavour do yo think you’ll go for first? Maple Bacon or Salted Caramel?
- The Brisbane Japanese Festival is on this Sunday 15 February in Roma Street Parklands from midday to 6pm.
- Don’t forget it’s Valentine’s Day tomorrow so if you haven’t already got something planned and you’d like to – here’s a few ideas of Romantic things to do in Brisbane and some great gift ideas as well. If those still don’t take your fancy, there’s always a sunset picnic at Kangaroo Point cliffs for a bit of romance!
- Wicked has once again opened in Brisbane – get your tickets here.
- The program for this year’s Alliance Francaise Film Festival at Palace Cinemas has been released.
- Seen a few different bus stops around town? As part of Visit Brisbane’s Explore campaign to get Queenslanders out and about in the SEQ region you could find yourself sitting on a surfboard or in a hot air balloon on your daily commute…we wish all public transport looked like this!
And we’re back! Whilst we both feel a little like 2015 started without us, we’re slowly getting back into the swing of things which means that it’s time for our first Weekly G&T of the year. Grab yourself a cold-pressed juice, its time to detox…
- The New Year is a great time to set goals, try new things and ‘tick stuff off’ your list of things to do. So if you’re looking for some fresh ideas to accompany the resolutions you made on the 31st(no doubt in a drunken haze) why not check out The Ultimate Australian Bucketlist or Brisbane’s Breakfast Bucketlist – we can guarantee they’ll be a lot more fun than chin ups and marathon training!
- Ohhh SNAP! Queensland’s State Election has been called and will be held on January 31st. Better get enrolled if you’re not already.
- This weekend venues all over the Sunshine Coast Hinterland are opening their doors to eager Brides (and Grooms?) for a Hinterland wedding showcase. Maleny Manor, Wedding’s at Tiffany’s (Kirst is getting married here!), Spicer’s Closely Estate and Spicers Tamarind are all involved and there’ll be flowers, competitions, and fashion parades galore. If you’re looking at getting’ hitched’ in this beautiful region, take a drive up and check it out…plus there’ll be heaps of free food!
- Love cycling? Check out the Freewheeling Exhibition at the Queensland Museum.
- Amazing Fashion Illustrator Kerrie Hess is the featured artist in QAGOMA’s Future Beauty ‘Meet the Artist’ Event on Sunday January 18th. Phone (07) 3840 7280 for tickets.
- The RSPCA Pop Up Adoption is coming up soon so if you’re looking for a new family member be sure to add this date to your dairy.
Oh the Christmas break cannot come fast enough! We are so looking forward to relaxing and spending time with family, then a beach break with friends over New Years! Bring on the sun, surf, sand and Sand Crab!
- First off though – are you ready for storm season? It’s going to be a bumpy summer, so check out the Brisbane City Council, Emergency Management Queensland and Energex guides to storm safety.
- The winners of Weekend Edition Eat/Drink Awards
- The best present any Harry Potter fan could ask for.
- NYC City Hall weddings – beautiful and unconventional.
- A Beautiful Mess – one of our favourite DIY sites – have their 15 best christmas holiday projects.
- Not feelin’ festive? These instagram accounts will change that in no time.
- There’s good news for Brisbanite’s who are thinking of visiting Japan. Qantas has just announced that there will be flights from Brisbane direct to Tokyo come next year. Who’s keen to join us?
- Save yourself from sweltering over the oven on Christmas Day and check out Gourmand and Gourmet’s list of restaurants open on Christmas Day in Brisbane.
- 10 reasons to fall in love with Berlin this Christmas.
- Latrobe Terrace in Paddington will be a hive of activity this weekend with pop up shops from Everingham and Watson and the ever talented textile designer Shilo Engelbrecht. We just might just pick ourselves up some chrissie gifts…
- Brisbane’s Moonlight Cinema is back!
- As are the Brisbane Twilight Christmas markets.
- Which is good to know as Christmas is 2.5 weeks away!
- The Powerhouse is buzzing right now with Wonderland festival in the theatres and the World Food Markets pulled up in trucks outside
- The former co-owner of Esquire has opened a new restaurant / bar in Rosalie this week called The Bounty
- ’tis the season for Christmas parties! Also Christmas catch-ups, end-of-year dinners, after work drinks, any and every excuse. We currently have Christmas functions at Jamie’s Italian, Milk Factory Kitchen and Bar and Stokehouse. It’s going to be tough!
- Conscious Consumption is on at Wandering Cooks this Saturday night
- Boudoir Bazaar fashion market is on at the Hamilton Hotel this Sunday.
- Undressed: After Dark is on for one night only this Friday, 5 December. B’s seen this exhibition, it’s beautiful, fun and sexy.
- There are a few gaps in South Bank at the moment, but they are soon to be filled with Hop & Pickle going in where Beastie Burgers used to live and The Manhattan Line replacing Sardine Tin.
- Finally – some of our most popular posts from November: reviews of Remy’s in Paddington and Red Hook, and oldie but a goodie; Brisbane’s Best Dumplings, and finally it must be getting close to Christmas because people are checking out Gifts for a Gin Lover.
GOMA’s big summer show for 2014-2015 opened on 1 November and we were there to enjoy all the fun of the opening weekend.
‘Future Beauty: 30 Years of Japanese Fashion’ is a look back over the innovations, ingenuity and sheer craziness that can be Japanese fashion. The exhibition comes from the prestigious Kyoto Costume Institute and features pieces by Yoshi Yamamoto, Junta Wanatabi and Commes des Garcons.